DfG Kits: 101
Ever wonder what’s actually in a DfG Kit? You’re not the only one!
Each DfG Kit is a labor of love. Our Kit has gone through 29 versions, incorporating feedback from thousands of women and girls around the globe. Each Kit has been hand-sewn by volunteers or enterprise leaders who are held to our quality standards. Why?
Because what the girls see matters; to us and to them.
No one wants to use ugly period products — not even those of us with easy access to them. Have you seen Tampax boxes lately?! They’re beautiful, and that’s on purpose. DfG Kits are no different! We want the girls to love and feel comfortable using them.
That’s why all of our Kit components come in a beautiful drawstring bag. The fabrics are bright to make each user feel special. The drawstring is made extra long so that girls can carry their Kit like a backpack. After all, many girls have to walk long distances to school or work, and this makes it handy for her to carry her pads … and whatever else she needs.
The really amazing part? DfG Kits are environmentally friendly and can last up to 3+ years! That’s right. No plastic, no trash, no impact on the environment. Because they last so long, they’re also a cost-effective solution for girls, and allow families to spend money on other things they need instead of purchasing more expensive options (if they even have access to other options). It’s a win-win!
Here’s what is packed inside the drawstring bags:
- Two pairs of underwear: A crucial part of the DfG Kit is underwear, because after all, if girls don’t have anywhere to put the pads, they can’t use them. The other elements, shields and liners, can’t function without underwear, and we don’t ever want that to be a barrier for a girl in need.
- Two shields: Think of these as a pad with wings. They are made from two pieces of cotton (with moisture-barrier fabric between to prevent leaks), and wings that fold around her underwear and snap in place. Our shields are made of beautiful, printed fabrics for comfort — and to hide stains. They have two pockets on either side of the shield that hold our liners in place. The pockets are deep enough for double or triple liners when she has a heavy flow.
- Eight liners: These liners go in the shields and act as the “pad” part of the Kit. Our liners look like washcloths. That’s so girls can wash and hang them out to dry without any embarrassment. They are made from 100% cotton flannel so they’re washable with very little water and quick to dry in the sun. The liners have what we call a “hot zone,” which means there is a strip of fabric sewn down the center to provide additional absorption without adding bulk. This makes it much more comfortable! Since there are 8 liners in a Kit, there is enough for each girl to wash and wear for the length of her period.
- Soap and washcloth: We add a few extras in her Kit, including a bar of soap for washing her pads, and a washcloth for cleansing her body. There’s no better feeling than a nice shower during your period. It makes you feel fresh, clean, and ready to take on the world. Girls who receive DfG Kits deserve that same feeling, but may not have access to these items. By including them in the Kit, we ensure that all girls can take care of themselves — and their liners.
- Instructions: This is one of the most important aspects of the Kit! We provide a pictorial instruction sheet that shows how to use the shields and liners, as well as how to wash them. But that’s not all! On the back side, there is a menstrual chart to help track periods. This helps each user know when to expect her period, so she can bring her supplies with her.
- Transport bag: All of the kits also include a transport bag that acts as a dirty laundry hamper as well as a washing machine. The bag, made of a moisture proof fabric, is designed so she can discreetly carry her dirty liners back home or on her way to wash them.
It doesn’t fit in a bag, but we always include health education during our Kit distributions. It’s crucial that girls learn about their menstrual cycle, good washing practices, health, safety, and why being a woman is worth celebrating! Education is the key to creating long-lasting, sustainable change in communities and breaking down many of the barriers girls face. Our Kits are not complete without education!
If you want to learn more about where we distribute Kits or what a Kit means to a girl who receives it, check out some of their stories. You can also #GiftAKit to a girl in need this holiday for as little as $10 — and you’ll change a life!