5 Natural Ways to Ease Period Cramps
Cramps. You get them, I get them, and we all feel the pain of them at one point during our cycle. Menstrual cramps can cause a lot of pain and inconvenience-but they don’t have to! We have found 5 natural methods to ease those annoying cramps- they really work!
- Heat – Applying a heating pad to your lower abdomen will loosen those tense muscles and provide relief from cramps. If you do not have a heating pad, a hot bath will also work wonders! In the field, Days for Girls Ambassadors of Women’s Health teach girls dispel the fear of pain of cramps by explaining that they are a natural part of the process for some of us. But they also give practical resources including explaining that girls can repurpose disposed water bottles by adding their own water and letting the contents warm in the sun. Roll up and down with mild pressure over the abdomen. An instant massaging “hotwater bottle”!
- Bananas- Research has shown that potassium can ease the pain of menstrual cramps. Bananas are known for having a high level of potassium, making it the perfect medicine and healthy snack
- Yoga-Yoga is a great way to unwind and find that “zen” in your life. Not only is it great for the mind, but it does wonders for your muscles! The Days for Girls website has a video for some great options. Click on DaysforGirls.org > then media > then Videos and scroll down from there. (Direct link to video page: http://www.daysforgirls.org/#!videos/c13ms.) Here are a few of the poses to try out: Child's Pose -Fish Pose Supported Bridge Pose Goddess Pose (my personal favorite)
- Ginger- Ginger is a great way to reduce inflammation. When your muscles feel sore and inflamed during your period, crush up a small ½ inch piece of ginger and place it in a cup of boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drink slowly and let the ginger ease your pain!
- Apple Cider Vinegar- Apple cider vinegar helps to regulate blood clotting, and contains both potassium and calcium that will ease cramping in the uterus muscles. Mix 1 tablespoon into a 16 ounce glass of cold or hot water, and drink! You can add ginger to get make it an even tastier and more effective pain soother!
We are strong and powerful women. Don’t ever let those cramps get you down!